Thursday, October 7, 2010

An Exercise: Essay

Assignment: Is suicide the answer?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
In 2010, I went to South Korea as an exchange student and lived with a Korean family for one year. Although I enjoyed the first few months quite comfortably, with the rare homesickness spell, in my fifth month I became very sorrowful. Due to culture differences and misunderstandings, my host family and I were having difficulty getting along. Burdened by stress and frustration, I often had thoughts of suicide.

However, suicide is a temporary fix; a band-aid to life's scratches, and a long-term decision to a likely short-term problem. The next month, I changed my host family and began to enjoy myself again. Because I chose to stick it out instead of giving in, I had the opportunity for a better experience. Depression is difficult to face, but possesses the ability to teach us how to adapt and endure. These lessons help build character and strengthen our views on life. In addition, darkness gives us a contrast to joy. Without sadness, we cannot define happiness.

Furthermore, be mindful that your actions have an impact on other people. By choosing suicide, you exemplify cowardice and weakness as well as expose those who care for you to pain. Before you take your life, consider the benefits of perseverance, remind yourself of those you love, and ultimately decide to live. Life is full of many emotions, not only pain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I made this prompt up. It just came to my mind. We are taking midterms in school, which leaves me with about 30min to do nothing...so I wrote this essay. BTW I did consider suicide once [jumping out of my window] but I always came to the conclusion that it's just not worth it. What would I accomplish by killing myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment